I watched Dr. Horrible: http://www.hulu.com/watch/28343/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog
There are always pros and cons to different technological advances. In regards to Broadband video I feel like it can help in the short run and hurt in the long run.
Broadband video helps: Nowadays consumers are more empowered than ever and have extremely busy lifestyles. Broadband is a great way to catch up on episodes missed, easily sample different tv programs etc. More exposure will result into more on-air viewers. Plus as broadband audience size builds ad revenue will increase as well. Network programming is and always will be the most watched, most valued source of video entertainment and with broadband opening up all kinds of new revenue opportunities, there's plenty of reasons to be positive.
Broadband video hurts: Broadband takes away the networks' success factor, driving profitable on-air viewing to profitless broadband viewings. There is no way that broadband revenues will ever catch up. As more programs move online and viewers can eventually watch these right on their TVs, the shift from on-air to online utilization will only pick up the pace!
When I was researching I read somewhere that “In the short-term, there is evidence that broadband expands audiences. For example, The Office's premiere last fall 9.7 million people tuned in, but another 2.7 million watched online. “
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Nice analysis. Whether for good or ill it's definitely another example of the Interwebs as a disruptive technology.
ReplyDelete